An overview of literature in English from the eighteenth to the twenty-first century. Poetry, drama, non-fiction prose and the novel will be covered. This is a writing course that also incorporates instruction in advanced English grammar and syntax.
Upon completion of this course, the successful student will have reliably demonstrated the ability to:
• Engage with and discuss a broad scope of literature written in the English language from the eighteenth century to the twenty-first century
• Acquire the basic ability to read a literary work through its formal elements as well as its historical context
• Learn to write competently at the university level
• English grammar: advanced rules of usage
• Advanced principles of composition
• The Romantic period; the slave trade and the literature of abolition; the Gothic and the rise of a mass readership; the Victorian age; Modernist literature; Non-fiction prose
Image: Thomas Hardy, English novelist and poet. By Herbert Rose Barraud (1845-1896) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons.